Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Birthday Cakes...

Looks like I am on a roll here. Three days of blogging in a row... Oh boy!

Today is a a special day here. My baby girl is turning 14 years old. So I had to sing her the special German birthday song this morning. It is the song I woke up to whenever I had a birthday as a little girl in Germany. This is how it goes:

"Komm schnell herein. Komm’ schnell herein. Es ist Geburtstag heut’. sing 2x
Im Kreise sind wir alle, die ganze Kinderschar. Und wϋnschen dem Geburtstagskind viel Glϋck und auch Hurra! 

"Come in quickly! Come in quickly. There is a birthday today. We are all in a circle, the whole group of children. And we wish the birthday child lots of luck and Hurray!"

I have no idea where this song came from. But that's the sound we would wake up to as children on our birthday.



Except for that one year - when my parents forgot -  my 12th birthday. Can you imagine? I was quite upset with my mom. How could a mother forget her child's birthday?

But since then a lot of time has gone by. Being a parent myself, I have learned so much. How life can get so busy and you forget important things. Or you get so rushed that you mess up. Like my daughter's birthday cake I baked late last night. Did you know that German kids get their birthday cake first thing in the morning for breakfast? At least that's how it worked at my house.

Can you say NON-non-stick. The famous Rotweinkuchen (red wine cake) just wouldn't come out of the pan. A crumbling mess....



Luckily I was able to save it by sprinkling lots and lots of powdered sugar on top.

But who can blame my poor mother for forgetting a birthday. I have long since forgiven her. I don't know how she did it, with 5 kids and a full time job. Now I just wish she was here with me to celebrate my baby doll's birthday.




No comments: