Search This Blog

Monday, August 25, 2014

Tart Apples

I am not sure if you remember the post I wrote about foraging for food a couple of years ago. This has been a great year for apples. We are very happy that the pantry is slowly but surely filling up with jams and jellies for the Winter. I just finished making another batch of apple butter with crab apples from the "secret tree" in our neighborhood.

We actually planted our own Dolgo Crab Apple tree this year. Just in case... The fruit of this type of crab apple is a bit larger than the regular ornamental crab apples. The little apples measure about 1- 1.5 inches in diameter. When they turn dark red color they are ready to eat.


I wish the dolls could help make the apple butter. After all the apples are doll size. If only I could teach the dolls how to handle sharp knives. Their hands are the perfect size for these mini apples. My hands are very tired and sore from processing pounds of tiny crab apples. But they are so oh so tasty! Hope you find one of those wonderful trees and give this forgotten fruit a try. They are definitely worth the trouble. And your friends and neighbors will be astounded when you share such a wonderful treat.



I am planning on making some Apfeltaschen later this week - once my hands recover...


No comments: