Search This Blog

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Happy November or Not?

October went by in a blur. We didn't even get a Halloween pumpkin carved this year. My porch decorations were truly lame this year. I am just not as much into it as I used to be. Maybe because the kids are getting so big? Our oldest didn't even want to go trick or treating this year. He said:" Mom, who is going to give me candy? I am too tall." Wahhhh. Why do they have to grow up so quickly? If you have young kids, I tell you, enjoy every moment with them! Before you know it they will turn into teenagers, and then what?



Despite the warm weather we sadly had very few Trick or Treaters this year. I am sure many a parent was still weary and sad about the case of the little girl abducted and murdered in Colorado. It's hard not to cry every time one thinks about it. It's tough to explain to your 11-year-old that there are real monsters in this world. You may never recognize them since they might come in the shape of a friendly neighborhood boy.

All I can do to fight the infinite sadness of such thoughts is make more sweet dolls. Maybe if each child got to love and nurture a sweet baby doll the world would be a better place?



It's All Saints Day. I am lighting a candle for my mom, my dad, and all the sweet little girls that went to heaven long before their time. Sleep tight little angel, Jessica.

8 comments:

winterludes said...

so many hugs to you, ulla!

germandolls said...

Thanks, my friend! I think I need to go eat some chocolate or something...

Janne said...

"If you have young kids, I tell you, enjoy every moment with them! Before you know it they will turn into teenagers, and then what?"

I fixed that, by getting another one 10 years after the other two! ;)

anna said...

I find doll making helps with worrying snd difficult thoughts too. As well as busy hands calming busy minds, it can be a practical help as yo've said, with each stitch bringing a little comfort to a future recipient. Your dolls are just beautiful

Enifur said...

I am sitting here with tears in my eyes and wishing I could stop the time and turn it backward.... I hope your therapy is working with the combination of maybe some Milka?
On "Allerheiligen" we would go to the graves of my Omas and Opa, to bring Gestecke (flower arrangements) and to be there for a while and think of years past. Last year I spend 6 lovely weeks at home in Germany and got lucky to show my aunt, who was living in a nursing home, my two sweet Girls. How little I know... she passed away shortly after and we were able to attend the funeral.
Feeling the pain and the loss reminds me oh so often how important it is to be close to each other and be in the moment.... I am learning and working on being present in any given moment and the idea of building those loving memories I have from my childhood makes my sad thoughts fade a bit (even though my family is soooo far away).....

germandolls said...

Hey, Enifur. I got to go to Germany this summer, too. We visited my parents graves and planted some flowers with the children. It was a hard trip but we enjoyed every second of it. Wish you were living closer and we could hang out.

Enifur said...

True! There are about 1000 miles too many between Colorado and Michigan!

I am hoping to be able to fly next year in the spring to see my family. My parents both had some major surgeries... My Dad is going to retire at the end of this year - finally after working 49 years the same hard-labor-job. I am very excited about it, because I have high hopes of them visiting us this year in the summer for an extended period of time!
Have a wonderful week-end!
Nadine

germandolls said...

Virtual Hugs my friend! I hope your parents can visit. Mine never made it over here...