Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

why wait?

I got an early start on my New Year's resolutions this year. What was my resolution? To eat healthier and cut down on meat and processed foods.

I checked out a number of books on nutrition back in November. I shared my thoughts on one of them, Mark Bittman's Food Matters, in a previous post. I thought why wait until the New Year when we really put on the pounds and eat gobs of unhealthy foods during the holidays?



I am so glad I did get an early start. It really paid off. Holding off on many of the sweets and adding lots of fruits and vegetables gave me tons more energy during this very busy season. It even aided me in shedding the pounds I had gained in June. One book in particular helped me to get on the right track. Green Smoothies Diet by Robyn Openshaw is a wonderful book I want to highly recommend to you. Not that I am an expert or anything. It just feels right...



Instead of buying each other Christmas presents my husband and I decided to buy a Vitamix blender. With this wonderful machine we have very much enjoyed blending everything from Kale to Goji berries into vitamin and nutrient packed smoothies. It's so easy and fun!

Selling this diet to the kids, however, has turned out a very tall order. How do you a convince a teen boy and tween girl to get over the green color and consistancy of a veggiesmoothie? Cats coughing up furballs make a more pleasant noise compared to a teenager asked to taste a veggie smoothie.  On the bright side: Fruit smoothies are not a problem... What kid doesn't like a sweet fruit drink?




Little mini-me loves this particular smoothie drink. It is made with veggies and not green but really yummy. It has red cabbage and frozen berries in it.

I think I can handle staying on this diet for quite a while.


What is your New Year's resolution? I wish you all Health and Happiness and lots of Engergy!



No comments: