Search This Blog

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Gingerbread anyone?

Here she is: my first Gingerbread Girl of the season. She is even sweeter in real life! Wish I had some Lebkuchen to eat right now. Looking at her dress makes me hungry.

 
I bet you, they have Lebkuchen for sale in every grocery store in Germany right now. If I want some these days, I have to order it from a specialty store over the internet. We used to order a box from Schmidt's Lebkuchen every year. But it is quite pricey and  a couple of times I was disappointed with the quality. It just didn't taste as fresh as I remembered it from my childhood. Or is it just my imagination? Whenever my parents felt flush and could afford it they ordered the Festtagstruhe. My sisters and I would fight over the chocolate covered Elisenkuchen and the Dominosteine (little chocolate covered cubes made from layers of cake, marcipan, and jelly).

I feel myself breaking down. I may just have to order a box...


In Germany you can buy the cheap imitation of Schmidt's Lebkuchen at every store. No need to spend $100. Oh well, on the bright side - this is how I have been able to maintain my girlish figure. If I lived in Germany I'd be a big Frau, no doubt. I'd eat Schokolade and Lebkuchen all day. Here I just don't care that much about sweets...


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Ulla,
Do you have "Tuesday Morning" stores or TJ MAXX, or Marshall's stores near you? If so, they carry a small assortment of German cookies near the Christmas holidays. I love German gingerbread cookies. My mom also used to make delicious Hazelnut cookies from a German recipe.

Your doll is precious.

germandolls said...

One year I actually found some at a local dollar store. I will have to check the stores you mentioned! Thanks so much for that info!