Search This Blog

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Hedgehogs / Igel


As I was making this adorable hedgehog dolldress set I showed it to my daughter. She asked me:" What is that animal? A porcupine?" She has never seen a hedgehog in her life. I guess hedgehogs don't live in Colorado. At least I have never seen one around. Now I am wondering if and where they live on the continent. Please, let me know if you have seen one lately.
In Germany hedgehogs are quite common. I grew up around these cute fellers. I remember our neighbor taking one in one winter. The law said that if you found a hedgehog in fall and it wasn't fat enough(under 500 grams) to survive on his own you could take it in and keep it over the winter.
Too bad I don't have pictures of real hedgehogs. But they sure live on in my memory and imagination. I had lots of fun making the set shown in the pictures...

5 comments:

Mare said...

This little set of clothes is SO adorable!

germandolls said...

thanks so much for your comment1

Saints and Spinners said...

Oh, those shoes. Those lovely shoes. Very sweet.

We know a family that has a hedgehog for a pet. Hedgehogs do not give off pungent odors the way other rodents do, and that was a motivator in their obtaining "Hedgie." The first time I heard Hedgie "whiffle," I was quite startled.

germandolls said...

Awe, I'd like to see some pictures of "Hedgie". What a fun pet he must be!

saskia said...

this is SOOOO cute! I don't see the link for your etsy store on your blog, am I missing it, I will look again, I'd love to check it ou.