Search This Blog

Monday, October 22, 2012

Getting Old...

I have a hard time admitting it. But I guess one is getting old when checking out large print books from the library.

I went to the library the other day. I had just finished the John Irving novel  In One Person. It's about transgendered and bisexual people. I liked that book a lot but it kind of left me sad and depressed. I love John Irving as a general rule, but this one was very tough to get through. The book had 400 something pages too. Night after night I'd fall asleep after about reading 25 pages. Was it the sad content or my failing eyesight? I even lost a competition with my daughter in who would finish the book they were reading first. Cost me a $1. So I told the nice ladies at the library I needed something to cheer me up.


I wanted to read something in large print and a book that was funny. Success! I checked out Can't Wait to Get to Heaven by Fanny Flagg. It's the story of an old lady named Elner Shimfissle. She is my new hero. I hope to grow a little bit more like her every day.

Maybe time to get some reading glasses?

No comments: