Search This Blog

Monday, March 14, 2011

Pray for Japan!

I have been incredibly saddened and depressed looking at images from the earthquake in Japan. Yesterday at church we prayed for the Nation of Japan. What else can one do? Are our governments helping and doing enough to help? No doubt one scary thought has entered the back of our minds from the get-go: What if this was us? California...

No matter how well prepared or rich a nation may be, there is no way to prepare for nature's wrath...Once a horrible force like this becomes unleashed we don't know how bad things can get.

Do you know anyone in Japan? Is the sight of these pictures less touching if there isn't a personal connection? I have a good friend from college who married a girl from Japan. Luckily they live in Germany. But I worry about her family. Will they be safe? How far away from this disaster do they live?



I remember too well when Chernobyl happened. I was out with some friends riding our bikes to a beautiful park. Later they told us that the wind was blowing from the East that day. All of Western Europe was getting a not so healthy dose of radiation that day...Are we safe?

Why do they keep building more nuclear power plants? It's not safe! Are there any of them near the coastline of California? Are they telling us the truth? I'm scared. Scared for the people in Japan - scared for my children and our future.

I look at all the pretty pieces of cloth I have collected in my stash that were made in Japan. Where are the people who created them? I pray they are safe! Pray with me, my friends!

I am not a rich person, and there is not much I can do to help. I did send some money via Save the Children today hoping every little bit will help. I will also donate 10% of my sales of items made from Japanese fabrics to the disaster victims in Japan. So check out the Kawaii section in my Etsyshop.

2 comments:

PurePixie said...

This reminds me so much of Chernobyl too...
There are indeed nuclear power plants in southern California. This is all so so scary!

germandolls said...

yup, I just saw a show on my German TV station about the plant at Diavolo Canyon. Sounds like a fitting name...