Search This Blog

Thursday, March 12, 2009

More Kawaii Fabrics...

So check out this adorable green mushroom dress! I made the dress of a Japanese Fabric ordered recently on etsy. I hear they are also called Kawaii fabrics. I found the following definition of the word "kawaii" on Wikipedia in an article on Cuteness in Japanese culture:



" Kawaii is a Japanese term which means "cute". Cuteness (kawaisa) seems to be a highly valued aesthetic quality in Japanese society and particularly Japanese pop culture, and overpowering cuteness seems to carry less of the stigma of infantilization as it does in many other cultures. Kawaii is pronounced Ka-wa-ee (not to be confused with "kowai", Ko-wai, the Japanese term for "scary"). Kawaii can be used to describe animals and people, including fully grown adults; while attractive women are usually described as kawaii, young men are more likely to be described as "good looking" or "cool". Kawaii is also used to describe some men who are considered to have"cute" personalities."


When surrounded by some of the harsh realities of life. what better way to distract oneself than working with this cute fabric? One look at it makes me happy, HAPPy, HAPPY.

Like those CraZy dancing rabbits in my last post. =) I think the fabrics are just beautiful in design and color. I also found the name of this particular fabric quite humorous: it is called "The fungus among us". Cute wordplay!



Unfortunately I could only get a hold of one yard of this fabric. It will be used sparingly on special dolls only! I love the bright green color. The little mushroom shoes I made earlier this month go perfectly with this ensemble.

I hope you enjoyed my little exploration into Japanese culture today!

Have a happy day - blessed and surrounded by cuteness and beauty!

8 comments:

Knecht Ruprecht Dolls said...

Your japanese fabrics look great! I recently had a japanese customer and we thought about making some kimonos for a doll.

Flor Larios Art said...

Beautiful fabric....love the little mushrooms and the cute little doll in the pocket...looks just perfect!

Unknown said...

Careful! These fabrics are addictive. :)

barbara said...

ulla, have you been to superbuzzy.com or fabrichound.com? dangerous...

germandolls said...

Yes, I saw there is a site for fabric addicts. I think I am getting there...
Boo, I went to superbuzzy but have not checked out fabrichounds. So thanks for supporting my habit. =)

Anonymous said...

o.k. i'm a dork...

i thought it had to do with "hawaii"
HAHA

Anonymous said...

that dress is *adorable*! No surprise there :D

germandolls said...

That is funny, Jenn! I thought the same thing. Something with the language there...