Search This Blog

Saturday, August 18, 2012

something you don't know about me...

or maybe you do know? I used to paint before I became dollmaker.

as a teenager I always toyed with the idea of studying art. I had good grades in art. I took figure drawing classes in every town I moved to. but I didn't have the guts to apply to artschool in Berlin. I saw many of my friends portfolios. people who were much better artists than me. I felt very intimidated by the whole process. I was too chicken to ever try.

following your dreams is very hard. I studied English literature and languages instead. but the need to express myself through art never went away. if you are an artist you may understand. I am not a happy camper unless I create with my hands. when I first moved to the US I went back to painting. I created the oil painting you see below.

selfportrait "empty glas" also referred to as "banana girl" by DH, oil painting 1998

I did many drawings and finished about 10 oil paintings during the first two years that I lived in the US. once I had kids I stopped painting because I did not want to expose my kids to the harsh chemicals. also I lacked the time and energy to paint.

next thing I knew the dolls took over and I started putting all my creative energy into them.

but I feel like it's time to go back to drawing and painting again. do you like my painting?
are there dreams that you have been too afraid to follow?

9 comments:

woolies said...

Very impressed, love the painting!

Unknown said...

I love it Ulla!! That is something I would've loved to have a print of :-D

ziezo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ziezo said...

I like the painting! Why would you not be able to do both creative activities? Paintings and dolls?

I interrupted my Academy of Art schooling for a totally different study two decades ago, but find myself inching back into that direction as well. . . I guess it is in the blood.

germandolls said...

Thanks for your kind comments on my other art. I am not going to give up the dolls. I just want to go back and do painting again. Now I just have to dig up my art supplies. I am working on some drawings for my new website. ;)

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

Your painting is beautiful! I'm so happy to read in the comment above that you are going to get your art supplies out and begin painting again. Following your dreams is important...especially when you have so much skill already in what you want to do!

germandolls said...

thanks so much, Ann! You are very kind.

Jzin said...

I can relate to your story. I went into science. I love the portrait, the colors, composition, sweet melancholia. Thanks for sharing! I want to paint too!

germandolls said...

I hope you get to paint Jzin. I am working on some watercolors for now. =)