Inspired by Cynthia’s word geekery, I did a little research on the word nest.
I found the following definitions of the word nest in my Webster’s Dictionary :
- 1 a : a bed or receptacle prepared by a bird for its eggs and young b : a place or structure serving as an abode of animals and especially of their immature stages c : a receptacle resembling a bird’s nest
- 2 a : a place of rest, retreat, or lodging b: den, hangout
- 3: the occupanters or frequenters of a nest
- 4 a: a group of similar things : aggregation
- 5: a group of objects made to fit close together or one within the other
When you visit The Fairies' Nest, http://thefairiesnest.etsy.com/ the store or her blog, you will feel right at home in her cozy and warm nest. You can tell she worked hard to put these beautiful sites together for your enjoyment. The images of her dolls and her writing, take you right back to your childhood, back to memories of toys and stuffed animals you used to have growing up. Darn’ it! I wish I could go over and see it with my own eyes. But the internet will have to make do for now.
People who are likeminded love to frequent (or nest in) the fairies’ nest. The other day I used the word family to describe our group. I think definition 5 would work nicely,too. I wouldn’t refer to us as objects, but we do fit nicely together, one within the other. All members of the Etsy NaturalKids Team carry the hope that our toys will be like a nest, create some warmth, for the children who receive them, in a world that is often such a cold hard place. We build and create our kid products with fabric, wool, wood, and natural materials. You just can’t build a warm nest out of plastic, can you?
I love the nest you are building, Cynthia! Thanks for sharing the warmth! And what greater name could there be for a toymaker? Seriously, Cyn, I totally envy you for your name. =)