Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Childhood Memories...

For your information:
I wrote this article a week ago for the NaturalKids team. I am reposting it on my own blog because it really captures my mood this month!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
October is a hard month for me. I love the fall season so much because it reminds me of Germany. Finally - a spell of cold - after a long hot summer. The falling leaves of the oak trees in front of my house serve as a reminder of the changing season.Who would have thought I'd ever miss the rain and cold, the overcast days, and the ever shorter dark days in Germany?


October is a special time in the little communities where I grew up. I was raised in the Rhineland-Palatinate or Rheinland-Pfalz, if you would like to try to pronounce that. It is a famous wine growing region in the West of Germany.This time of year , as a child, I would be helping with the grape harvest. Even young children would participate. Once you were old enough to hold the clippers for cutting grapes, you'd go out and help. I remember my infant sister being carried in around the vineyard in her bassinet. Every helper would receive a bucket and a pair of clippers You'd be assigned a partner and a row of grape vines to harvest from together. It was hard work. Often we would work in pouring rain. Filling our buckets with grapes, over and over again. Once your bucket was full, you would call out for the "Legelträger," a person carrying a special bigger bucket strapped to his back, and empty your grapes into the receptacle as he would kneel down in front of you. He then would empty his bucket into a giant green vat. And when that was full, we would all be called on to jump into the vat and mash down the grapes to make space for more grapes.
My husband always jokes about it. He says the only reason I survived was because of my long legs.
It was a pretty sticky business. By the end of the day, you'd be tired and covered in grape juice and have grape leaves stuck in your hair. The smell of the harvest would penetrate deeply into your skin. But the hard labor would be rewarded with a small sum of money - which seemed huge for me as a child.
Now that I am older I fondly remember those days spent outdoors, working and playing in the vineyards.
Some people say that children in the modern world have lost touch with nature. They spend most of their time in front of TV and computer screens. I recently read an article which claimed that the average American child spends between 4-6 hours in front of a screen of one sort or another (Nintendo, other handheld games, Wii) . The article also stated that many children are losing touch with nature because of it.
Why care about the environment if you never spent time outdoors?
I wonder if things have changed in Germany and my memories are just that. Memories. Maybe the modern German child does not participate in the grape harvest. My sisters don't live that region any more. Maybe machines do all the work now...
I guess what I am trying to say here is: It is important to teach children a connection to nature!" It is so important to play and to work with them outdoors! I am convinced that I would be a very different person if I had not spent so much time surrounded by the soft rolling hills of the German country side where I grew up.
So turn off the TV and computer and take the kids outside! I am sure they'd be glad to rake the leaves and jump in them!

4 comments:

Sarah J. said...

What a great post! And I totally agree. Everyone, not just children, should get outside more and reconnect with nature (me included!)

Crayonmonster said...

Cute dolls. :)

And Mack-Tack is um...this sticky stuff that is sticky on one side and not on the other. It usually comes on these big rolls. You can get the no-name brand at places like Walmart too.

Hope that helps and didn't just confuse you!

Meg Wommack said...

a wonderful post, ulla...we mamas must work hard to make sure all of the lessons and traditions are passed along!! :)

meg

Uneekdolldesigns said...

Thank you for sharing that wonderful story of the grape gathering...very interesting!