Search This Blog

Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Dollmaker's Dilemma at Christmas...




I started my blog in March and then sort of abandoned it. I was not quite sure what to do with the whole idea of blogging. But then I became a blog author for my etsy team: The NaturalKids team. I post there every Wednesday, and I have immensely enjoyed it. So I decided to come back to my own blog and give it a little love.
The sweet Native American girl doll from my first post (for those of you who were wondering) has found a good home. In the mean time I have made many other dolls. As we get closer to Christmas my hands have been so busy. Here are some pictures of new dolls. I am mostly working on customized dolls these days. There is such a great need for them I can hardly keep up with demand...
My favorite kind of dolls are ethnic dolls. I made the Asian dolls you see in the pictures for children adopted from China. I really enjoyed creating them and I am sure they will be loved very much by their new owners...
Christmas is the busiest time for the doll maker. One can hardly keep up with custom orders. I feel bad having to turn people away. But I am only one woman. I wish I had some elves to help. Maybe some day my daughter will be old enough to help. But for now it is just me.

The whole custom process is very difficult for me. It is a love-hate relationship. On the one hand the custom orders make me a better doll maker. My customers come with all kinds of good suggestions and challenge me to get better at my craft.

But sometimes the stress level gets high. Especially when you have to balance so many different orders and keep them straight. Later I might post a picture of all my little sticky notes in the window of my "studio". I feel like a short order cook at times. Which is a funny way to put it since my orders take hours to complete. =)

3 comments:

My Inspired Reality said...

Beautiful dolls, love them. I too get stressed out with custom orders:)

Rick said...

The dolls are so lovely!

germandolls said...

That is good to hear. Maybe the economy is not so bad after all...As long as we keep getting custom orders there are people shopping!