Search This Blog

Sunday, May 3, 2015

German Almond Bread

If you are following me on Instagram you may have seen photos of this delicious German bread I have been baking.
When I was growing up in Germany we always had a sweet treat for our Sunday morning breakfast. My mother or one of us girls would bake it on a Saturday afternoon. I believe it was a great tradition, and I have been trying to continue this tradition in my own family. It's a little piece of home that I was able to carry with my to America. The good thing about traditions is, that you can carry them in your head and heart, and they don't take up too much space in a suitcase...

So here is the recipe for the amazing almond bread.



Preheat oven to about 400 degree Fahrenheit

ingredients:
500 grams wheat flour
2 tsp dry yeast
50 grams sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
250 ml milk
1 stick of butter (unsalted if you have it)
200 grams almond flour

The original recipe asks for 100 of almond flour and 100 grams of skinned chopped almonds. But since I found these giant bags of almond flour and blanching, peeling, and chopping almonds is not my favorite thing to do, I just use almond flour.



How to make it:
Put milk in a small saucepan, add the stick of butter to milk, melt the butter on low temperature on stove top.

Mix all the ingredients together. You can knead it by hand but a Kitchen aid mixer with hooks will greatly simplify this task.

You may want to add a bit more flour if the dough is very sticky.
Cover with a towel and let the dough rise for about an hour or until it has visibly increased in size.

Knead the dough and braid it or twist it into a pretty knot. Brush with milk. Bake at about 400 degree Fahrenheit in preheated oven.

Do you know how to say breakfast in German? It is called Frϋhstϋck. I hope you have time next weekend to bake this treat for your family! It is wonderful sliced and slathered with some homemade jam, Nutella, or just some butter.

No comments: